Moscow Machine Tool Institute was established by the order № 1647 of the Presidium of Supreme Soviet of the National Economy of the USSR dated July 12, 1930 for the purpose of training specialists in machine tool industry. It became necessary to set up such a specialized higher educational institution, because of the urgent need to have qualified personnel for the national machine tool industry – the base of the domestic machine building.
In 1932 the first 29 engineers graduated the Institute.
From 1933 till 1941 824 engineers finished the Institute. Among the first-year graduates were such persons as A.I. Kostousov, who later became the Minister of the machine-tool industry, A.I. Efremov - future Vice-chairman of the Council of Ministers of the USSR.
During the first five years of its activities the Institute showed itself as a viable, developing educational institution, meeting the goals and demands of the socialist construction. After the first and second rounds of All-Union Technical Institutes’ Competition the Institute was awarded honorary diplomas.
After the first decade of its work the Institute became a prominent educational institution with highly-skilled teaching and research staff, and a well-formed training and laboratory technical base.
During the Second World War Moscow Machine-Tool Institute carried out and implemented more than a dozen complex themes. Among them were the studies of the details and armor of captured enemy tanks, modernization of machine tools and mechanisms, studies of cutting tools properties, the development of machine-tools design with defensive value. In mid-October 1941 by the Government decision apart of students and teaching staff was transferred to Tomsk, where the Institute branch was established to train 220 engineers for the whole period of its functioning. In July 1943 the whole team of that branch returned to Moscow and got involved in the work of the main Institute.
By the 50-s the qualified teaching staff with scientific degrees had increased significantly. The number of employees with scientific degrees was greater than the average number of such workers in the higher educational institutions of both the Russian Federation and the USSR. By that time scientific schools were established in the field of mechanical engineering technology, machine tools design, forging and stamping technology equipment, precision mechanics instruments, and physics.
In the year of its 25th anniversary (that is 1955) "Stankin" had already five faculties - machine tool, technology, technological, instrument-making, forging, evening and trained engineers of seven specialties. The total number of "Stankin" graduates in engineering amounted to 3.5 thousand by 1955.
In 60 – 70s the Institute carried out a large-scale scientific research in various directions: adaptive management of technological processes, automation of individual and small-scale manufacturing, production of automated and automatic machine systems of new machine tool models, development of advanced cutting tools, etc. Leading scientists have published fundamental monographs on the described above issues. Publishing textbooks and teaching aids became the major scientific direction in Stankin during this period.
Y.M. Solomentsev, Professor, Doctor of Science, corresponding member of the Russian Acadamy of Sciences, was appointed rector of the Institute in October 1974. Y.M. Solomentsev contributed to the development of «Stankin» setting a task to work out new technologies, machinery and metal-forming equipment, management systems, through computerization, etc.
«Stankin» reached its 50th anniversary in 1980 with considerable success. Since its foundation more than 18 thousand engineers had been trained in various specialties including such demanded as machine construction and cutting tools, technology of mechanical engineering, metal forming and instrument engineering. In 1980 Moscow Machine Tool Institute was awarded the Order of the Red Banner for great achievements in training and substantial contribution to the national science and also in honor of the 50th anniversary of its foundation.
In 1981 «Stankin» started to create and develop production of advanced types of cutting, grinding and diamond tools out of new tool, abrasive and superhard materials. A set of research operations was put into action for the creation and development in production of high-performance equipment, including computer-controlled CHPU, GAL and GPS. In 1983 a new specialty "Robots and robotic systems" was opened at the newly organized department “Robotics and mechatronics”. In 1986 "Stankin" opened a special faculty for retraining and advanced training of national economy specialists.
In 1991 on the basis of the oldest educational institutions of the town of Yegorievsk - Mechanical and Electrical School named after Tsarevich Alexey (founded in 1909) and Machine-technical school "Komsomolets" (founded in 1923) a Technical faculty of “Stankin” was established, to be reorganized into a branch of Moscow State University of Technology "Stankin" in January 16, 1996.
Due to the scientific and methodological achievements of the Institute and by the Order of the Committee on Higher Education of the Ministry of Science, Higher Education, and Technical Policy, dated November 25, 1992 the Academic and Methodological Association on Education in the Field of Automated Machinery (AMAE AM) was established, which incorporated more than 120 universities of Russia and CIS countries.
As the recognition of a newly reached level of the educational process development and research conducted Mosstankin was renamed as Moscow State University of Technology "Stankin" on December 7, 1992 by the Order № 1119 of the Ministry of Science, Higher Education and Technical policy.
New status predetermined new changes. In 1993 an Intercollegiate Center for specialized new information technologies was established. The Center conducted research in educational process computerization as well as new technologies in the field of education and science. A new Faculty of Economics and Management of innovative technologies (EMIT) was founded in 1994. Its purpose was to train highly qualified specialists in economics for various industries. In the same year as a result of the merge of the two faculties - flexible manufacturing design and automated systems of metal forming – a faculty of "Mechanics and management" (MEUP) was set up. The new faculty formed a powerful group of departments, working in the field of construction and computer-aided design of automated equipment.
MSTU "Stankin" entered the XXI century having the leading position in the field of education and science. The University was among the first to switch to a multilevel system of training, implementing educational process in the five areas of bachelor's and master's degrees in 23 specialties. According to the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation Order № 1870, dated 26.04.2001 (paragraph №1) MSTU "Stankin" was renamed as FSBEI HPE MSTU «Stankin».
In June 2007 Sergei N. Grigoriev, Professor, Doctor of Technical Science, was elected rector of MSTU "Stankin". His professional activity had been closely connected with the University since 1982. Under his guidance and taking into account modern requirements systematic training of specialists is carried out with obligatory application of innovative engineering technologies, modern information technologies and special economic knowledge.
In 2008 in accordance with the decision of the Government Commission on Industry, Technology and Transport, and by the "Plan of priority measures in the development of machine-tool industry of Russia until 2011” a State Engineering Center (GITS) by «Stankin» was established. Its primary purpose is to ensure the long-term technological independence and competitiveness of the Russian engineering.
Today here are three faculties in “Stankin” today: the Faculty of Engineering Technology and Equipment (ETE), the Faculty of Information Technology and Control Systems (ITCS), and the Faculty of Economics and Management (FEM), which have full-time (day) and part-time (evening) forms of training.
At present more than 500 lecturers and researchers work at the University. Among them more than 100 are Doctors of Science and Professors, and 340 are Candidates of Science and Assistant Professors. Today "Stankin" has stable and constantly developing international relations with universities and companies of Austria, Brazil, Germany, Hungary, Italy, China, the U.S., South Korea and other countries in the fields of its activity.